Respubliki Street is the main street of Tyumen. At first it used to be called Bolshaya Spasskaya (the Big Spasskaya) after the southern Spasskiye Gates, which were a part of the first Tyumen Ostrog (fortress). Since the early 18th century it became known as the Blagoveschenskaya (“Good News”) Street after the cathedral of the same name, which was built at the very start of the street.
In 1837 the heir to the throne — the future Emperor Alexander II — visited Tyumen, and the street received its new name — Alexandrovskaya (later changed into Tsarskaya).
On 10 August 1917, by the resolution of the City Duma, the Tsarskaya Street changed its name once again. Now it was called Respubliki Street.
The Historical Garden is located on the site of the former Gostinodvorskaya Square, which was formed by the buildings of the Gostiny Dvor (historically, this referred to a market in Russia), the City Council and the Blagoveschenskiy (“Annunciation”) Cathedral (which was blown up in 1932).
Currently, the northern peak of the Historical Garden is the conjunction point of the two main Tyumen streets — Lenina and Respubliki.
Nearby, on one of the highest places in Tyumen, there is the Historical square — the place where a few centuries ago the first Tyumen settlers built a wooden fortress, and where the city began.