The first name of the 25th October Street was Ilinskaya, in honor of the Proroko-Ilinskaya Parish Church (or the Parish Church of St. Elijah the Prophet), built in stone on this place in the early 19th century.
In 1922, on the fifth anniversary of the October revolution, which took place on 25 October (according to the Julian calendar; according to the newer Gregorian calendar — on 7 November) in 1917, the name of the former Ilyinskaya Street was fixed with the date — 25th October.
The street starts at the bridge over the Tura and ends at the Sverdlova Street. Many old houses of the 19th century were demolished during the construction of new apartment buildings. However, some of them have survived and are currently protected by the state.
Bogoroditse-Rozhdestvenskiy (Nativity of the Theotokos) Women Monastery and Inlyinskaya (St. Elijah) Church
The Proroko-Ilinskaya Parish Church and the women’s monastic community date back to the beginning of the 17th century. Back then the temple and monastery were located in the area of the current “Neftyanik” hotel.
The new wooden church was built half a verst2 (approximately half a kilometer) from the previous place, along the river Tura. In the early 19th century, the foundation of a stone church was laid here.
In 1930 the church closed.
Since then the building housed: a parochial school (in 1983–1918); a pawnshop (since 1935); and a distillery (1942–2002).
Address: 29 25th October St.